This revised specification in GCSE Irish is available for first teaching from September 2009. This is a unitised course with first assessment of units 1 (speaking) and 2 (writing) available in summer 2010. We will make the first awards in 2011.
Through studying this specification, students:
- develop an understanding of written and spoken Irish in a variety of contexts;
- develop the ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken Irish, using a variety of vocabulary, syntax and structures;
- develop knowledge of the language and language-learning skills;
- develop an awareness and understanding of Spanish-speaking countries and communities;
- recognise that their linguistic knowledge, understanding and skills help them to take their place in a multilingual global society; and
- derive enjoyment from language learning.
The course provides a sound base for further study of Irish at a more advanced level. It also helps students make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices.