Agriculture and Land Use
The people of Northern Ireland have a strong rural tradition. This long association with the land means the agri-food industry is a vital contributor to the local economy.
European legislation, consumer accountability and environmental concerns all influence how we farm. The modern farmer must be expert in plant and animal husbandry, familiar with the legislation governing farming and able to respond to changing customer demand.
Studying agriculture allows us to:
- investigate how farming practices can adapt to changing requirements;
- explore the impact modern agriculture has on the natural environment;
- examine increased consumer awareness of the food we eat; and
- consider how farmers can develop diverse, vibrant and viable agri-food businesses.
The land-based sector offers employment opportunities in a range of areas, including:
- food production;
- land management;
- health and safety;
- marketing; and
- environmental protection.