CCEA Examinations during severe weather conditions and periods of disruption
Thursday 6 January 2011
We are aware that recent weather conditions have affected schools and colleges and understand the concern this, along with a possible surge in cases of influenza, may give students preparing to take their exams this month. We would like to reassure students, parents, schools and colleges that CCEA has well rehearsed processes in place to deal with such circumstances.
- It is expected that the examinations series will be conducted according to the published timetable.
- Centres are reminded that the start time of the examinations can be varied by up to 30mins at the centre’s discretion.
- Examinations Officers are asked to make all necessary checks to avoid any very late requests or changes to entries.
In the event of weather conditions worsening, preventing some candidates from attending their centre for examinations, the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) has outlined the following options available –
- If the weather is so severe that a decision is made to close the school or college, or where a school or college remains open but some individual candidates are unable to reach it because of extreme weather conditions, and no alternative arrangements were able to be made for taking the examination at a different location, then the options are
- Where candidates are sitting any units that are not their terminal (final) examination series, they may be entered again for the June 2011 series.
- Where candidates are sitting units as part of their terminal examination series and no further re-sit opportunity is available, then an application for Special Consideration may be made. The candidate must meet the published criteria for Special Consideration as indicated in the JCQ publication, Access Arrangements, Reasonable Adjustments and Special Consideration. The document can be viewed here:
There is a published contingency plan for the examinations system at
Should any issues arise that may affect the delivery of CCEA examinations please contact:
- Kevin Smart (Tel: (028) 9026 1215 or 07887 927 622) during normal working hours; or
- CCEA Examinations Emergency Helpline (Tel: 07796947993) outside of normal working hours.